The American Bankers Association is the banking industry's champion. Joining ABA makes you part of a team that: • has Extraordinary People - ABA experts are the "go to" sources for bankers, policy makers and the media for credible information and insights for the banking industry. • has Unmatched Scope and Scale - ABA's unparalleled information and services keep members current, knowledgeable and prepared. • is Impact-Driven - ABA has a proven record of bringing about positive change for our members and the industry. We take action and achieve results. Plus competitive pay, an outstanding benefits package, a convenient DC location, a professional collegial work environment and an opportunity to work on issues of national significance equals a winning combination!
Did you know that women and other marginalized groups are often reluctant to submit job applications if they don’t meet 100% of the requirements? We encourage you to take a chance! If you don’t satisfy every criterion, but know you can excel in the role, we urge you to apply! We’d love to connect and talk with you about joining our team.
Employer of Choice: ABA is recognized with a 2023Great Company Culture Award and 2023 Great Place to Work designation!
The Senior Manager, Innovation Strategy is a critical member of ABA’s Office of Innovation, responsible for tracking key trends in the fintech market, identifying notable startups, and supporting innovation policy work. The successful candidate will support ABA’s innovation strategy broadly, including research and drafting of market reports and development of policy positions on laws and regulations in the innovation space such as AI, data sharing, and digital assets.
They will act as an internal consultant, bringing data-driven analyses to internal business processes. They will provide banks with the market insights they need to innovate and promote connectivity to ABA’s Office of Member Engagement.
• Author Consulting-style Reports: Research and author reports designed to provide banks and policymakers a deep understanding of specific market opportunities (i.e., AI, RegTech, Crypto). These reports will include building business cases, implementation plans, case studies of successful initiatives, and market maps identifying promising companies in various market segments.
• Identify Market Opportunities: Work with banks and innovative technology companies to identify relevant trends and the technologies and innovations that banks need to remain competitive in a digital economy.
• Member Communication: Develop and implement a strategy for innovation-related communications to members and other external stakeholders; work with PR, marketing, and member engagement teams to ensure a cohesive plan and execution.
• Build Relationships: Build relationships with banks, innovation labs, startups, and venture capital firms that are leading in financial innovation. Create opportunities to engage and communicate with the industry to position ABA as a leader in innovation.
• Policy Support: Assist with the management of working groups, providing feedback on legislative drafts, preparing responses to agency requests, creating materials to educate bankers on legal and regulatory expectations, and other duties as necessary or appropriate.
• Bachelor’s degree in (economics, finance, business) or related field required; Master’s or advanced degree (e.g. MBA) preferred.
• Proven experience in related industries (banking, fintech, consulting, venture capital).
• 10 years of experience conducting targeted research and developing thought-leadership insights aimed at external audiences. Implement, refine, and communicate innovation/emerging technologies, informed by and aligned to banking and business strategies. Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Consulting, venture capital, or investment banking experience preferred.
• Ability to effectively communicate complex ideas through speech, writing, and presentations.
• Able to effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines.
• Strong record of leadership of deliverables from inception to distribution.
• Self-driven individual.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Team-oriented mindset.
• Ability to travel (<20%).
American Bankers Association (ABA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected Veteran status, personal appearance, political affiliation, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
ABA encourages and celebrates diversity so if you are motivated, hardworking and want to make a difference, come as you are!
The American Bankers Association is the united voice of America’s hometown bankers—small, regional and large banks that together employ more than 2 million women and men, hold nearly $17 trillion in assets, safeguard $12.8 trillion in deposits and extend more than $9 trillion in loans. ABA believes that government policies should recognize the industry’s diversity. Laws and regulations should be tailored to correspond to a bank’s charter, business model, hometown markets and risk profile. This policymaking approach avoids the negative economic consequences of burdensome, unsuitable and inefficient bank regulation. Through a broad array of information, training, staff expertise and other resources, ABA supports America’s hometown bankers as they perform their critical role as drivers of America’s economic growth and job creation.