Hybrid Position (Remote with 1-2 days/ week in office), Employer Paid Medical Benefits
Company Summary: The Women’s Transportation Seminar International (WTSI) is an international organization dedicated to the professional advancement of women in transportation. WTSI attracts, sustains, connects, and advances women’s careers to strengthen the transportation industry. WTSI offers its over 8,500 members, including women and men, access to high-caliber professional development, networking opportunities, mentoring programs, and unparalleled access to industry and government leaders. WTSI is helping women find opportunity and recognition in the transportation industry.
Position Summary: The Director, Communications and Programming will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Executive Director. In coordination with the Executive Director and in collaboration with other WTSI Directors, the Director, Communications and Programs is responsible for developing effective messaging and communication strategies for the organization, as well as leading activities and messaging for WTS education, programming, training, and advocacy initiatives. This position will focus on how people use WTS messages to generate meanings within and across various contexts, cultures, channels, and media. The Director will coordinate across departments on support for content and information to support communications. The Director will work closely with the Director of Marketing and Events to coordinate cohesive messaging across marketing and communications channels. The Director will work with the Executive Director to advance programming and advocacy efforts; providing relevant and timely education, training, and programming to WTS members and stakeholders that builds personal and professional knowledge and growth at all career levels and for all communities, especially those that are underrepresented. Through advocacy initiatives, the Director will assist the Executive Director in driving conversations and education that support women and strives for a safe, efficient, equitable, and sustainable transportation system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Communications Work with Executive team to deliver organization and annual communications strategy. · Develop and implement annual communications strategy
· Write oral presentation and speeches for WTS International Staff and Board of Directors
· Draft articles (print and online) and thought pieces for publications, newsletters, magazines, and journals
· Develop messaging and support creation of press releases, press conferences, and interviews
· Work with Executive Directors to develop responses to crises or challenging situations quickly and professionally
· In coordination with Director, Marketing and Events, ensure all organization materials have consistent messaging and branding
· Conduct quality control on all communications
· Develop and maintain relationships with media outlets and other companies specific to WTS including transportation related and women focused media
· Assist in the strategic communications process that builds mutually beneficial relationships between WTS and our audiences
· Assist Marketing department in storyboarding marketing initiatives including monthly toolkits, videos, and other advertising efforts
· Assist in development of WTS visual presentation at tradeshows and exhibits
· In collaboration with Director, Marketing and Events and Director, Membership and Chapter Relations, develop membership message and materials
Programs Work with Executive team to deliver education, programs, training, and advocacy initiatives that relate directly to the WTS mission.
· Drive and advance short- and long-term programming for both WTS International and its 501(c)3 Foundation
· Track and monitor the effectiveness of programs, adjusting as needed
· In coordination with Director, Marketing and Events, develop thought-provoking programs and trainings for WTS members and stakeholders
· Establish relationships with vendors, consultants, facilitators, and memorandum of understanding (MOU) companies to deliver highly attended and engaging content and programs for all career levels
· Create messaging and materials to expand reach of WTS and WTS Foundation activities and programs
· In coordination with Executive Director, assist in advocacy efforts that position WTS to be a leading voice of influence in the national dialogue around the state of transportation
· Engage in policy development that advances policies that support women and diverse workforce development
· Support women owned and small businesses through mentorship, engagement, training, and advocacy initiatives so that women and small businesses can grow and increase access to a broader world of opportunities
· Bring together members and industry partners to discuss trends, opportunities, and challenges in transportation that are relevant to the advancement of women and the advancement of transportation
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or public relations with an excellent work record. Must have 5+ years of related experience in marketing, communications, or program development. Excellent communications skills and attention to detail. Experience designing or creating program materials and/or organizational branding a plus. Advocacy experience related to developing messaging for elected and appointed officials is a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Women’s Transportation Seminar International (WTSI) is an international organization dedicated to the professional advancement of women in transportation. WTSI attracts, sustains, connects and advances women’s careers to strengthen the transportation industry. With over 8,500 members in 65 chapters across the United States and Canada, WTS provides unprecedented access with members representing the highest levels of the transportation industry and offers programs attracting emerging leaders to careers in STEM. WTSI is helping women find opportunity and recognition in the transportation industry.