The Director, Content and Thought Leadership leads the development of authoritative NACD content on key governance issues that help set the standard for board performance in the United States. He/she will be responsible for the creation of practical guidance, data-driven insights, and new thought leadership, ensuring that this content becomes the foundation for our major educational programs and advisory engagements. Works closely with the SVP, Content, the VP, Content Experience, and the Editor-in-Chief of the NACD Directorship magazine to ensure our content has a consistent and distinct voice and advances the performance of directors and boards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for the development of authoritative, relevant, and practical content that appeals to our broad community of directors and boards and advances the dialogue in the corporate governance community, including the ownership of signature thought leadership initiatives, such as NACD’s Blue Ribbon Commission Reports, that set the standard for world-class board performance.
• Ensures that the development of our key content assets across research, education, analytics and advisory help support our strategic objectives and our commercial outcomes; makes sure that our content development is informed by diverse voices from all segments of our membership community, and other stakeholders in the corporate governance “eco-system”.
• Ensures that relevant new content generated through new research and analytics can be translated into educational programming and advisory engagements, with a focus on ensuring a clear and consistent NACD voice across all learning formats. Strong focus on ensuring that NACD’s intellectual capital and its leading standards form the underpinning of our core educational programs and our content outputs do not pull in different directions or create disconnects for the member.
• Leads the newly established content development team, establishing, where needed, new standards and practices to guide the production of different content assets, focus on advancing our content leadership and expertise in critical domains, such as ESG, technology, cybersecurity and human capital/DE&I, where board oversight in the next few years will be a major priority.
• Works closely with the VP, Content Experience and relevant leads in marketing and IT to ensure that our deep library of digital content assets is readily accessible and easy to consume.
• Fosters a cohesive team culture that embodies constant learning, seeks improvements, demonstrates accountability and is passionate about the mission of NACD.
• Work closely with the content experience and directorship certification business leaders to align content development with the (re) certification needs across our membership.
• Aligns the work of our governance analytics team with broader content plans and NACD media/brand priorities to ensure our major stories and educational experiences are adequately supported/reinforced by unique data-driven insights.
• Collaborates intensely with NACD’s partnership team to ensure that we deploy the capabilities, knowledge, and expertise of our partners/sponsors against the biggest member needs, including the creation and management of major co-created content assets.
• Jointly plans annual content development plans in collaboration with key internal stakeholders and in alignment with NACD’s multi-year strategy.
• Ensures the team operates within budgets; identifies opportunities for cost efficiencies and controls spending decisions.
• Builds and maintains strong departmental processes that enhance productivity, drive continuity, and reduce dependencies on single individuals.
• Gathers feedback from members about the value and applicability of our content assets, building trusted relationships with directors who represent a cross-section of our membership.
• Facilitates or speaks at NACD national programs, chapter events and external conferences, and engages media on key issues, when needed.
• Provides transparency about the pipeline and performance of new content assets to key internal stakeholders, including membership and marketing; (re)aligns expectations where needed, proactively anticipates bottlenecks, and drives solutions.
• Advances professional development of staff through coaching, delivering feedback, and designing career trajectories.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in business management, political science, international relations or economics required. Master’s degree preferred. Must have at least ten years of progressive leadership and consultative experience in advising business executive audiences. Demonstrated ability to deliver thought leadership, guidance and execute education on major business issues, and to direct a research/consulting/content team to execute a strategy and deliver against specific assignments. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of an organization.
Must have broad knowledge and experience in corporate governance and management, including risk, finance, strategy, compensation, economics and law. Outstanding oral and written communication skills and organization skills required. Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Please submit your application online: https://www.nacdonline.org/about/careers.cfm?itemnumber=49120