Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing more than 22,000 members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 69 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. Visit us at www.abc.org.
The Assistant Editor will serve as assistant editor of ABC’s national magazine, Construction Executive. Responsible for writing and editing articles and handling some digital content. Act as back-up to editor; includes duties such as communicating with contributing writers and PR firms, tracking editorial/art through deadlines, and coordinating with the ad team and design firm. This position also must assist the overall public relations department as needed and help edit other association materials.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
• Assist in developing editorial for each issue, the annual editorial calendar and media kit. • Assist with production and design oversight. • Copy/edit each issue. • Write cover stories/monthly feature articles and columns. Solicit/track artwork for stories. • As needed, support the digital editor in monitoring and populating the magazine’s social media accounts, posting content to ConstructionExec.com and preparing the monthly digital edition/app. • Help produce the magazine’s weekly newsletter. • Edit association materials as needed. • Maintain industry knowledge through research, event attendance, and informal discussions with ABC members and construction experts. • Support the team’s efforts to grow the magazine’s reach/audience through reader surveys, ad leads, marketing ideas, etc.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills. • Strong organizational skills with a deadline orientation. • Ability to sort through email pitches and spot creative story ideas. • Proficiency in personal computer skills including, email, routine database functions, word processing, etc. • Web/HTML and Adobe InCopy experience is a plus, but not required. • Proficiency with Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
• B.A. in journalism/communications or related field. • Knowledge of construction industry helpful and design/layout process strongly desired. • Familiarity with AP Style.
• Three to five years of writing and editing experience with a magazine and/or digital publication preferred. • Construction industry and/or Association experience preferred.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
• Professional demeanor and presentation of self. • Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines. • Writing and verbal skills. • Self-starter, highly organized. • Coordination of projects, meetings and/or events a plus. • Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding self-directed work schedule. • Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently. • Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues. • Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards. • Work accurately with close attention to detail.
• It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
• While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
• This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Additional Salary Information: Bonus eligible
About Associated Builders & Contractors
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national association with chapters located throughout the USA representing tens of thousands of merit shop construction and construction-related firms with millions of employees. ABC's membership represents all specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors of the industry.
• ABC is the construction industry's voice with the legislative, executive and judicial branches of the federal government and with state and local governments, as well as with the news media.
• ABC's mission is the advancement of the merit shop construction philosophy, which encourages open competition and a free-enterprise approach that awards contracts based solely on merit, regardless of labor affiliation.
• Through its national office and chapters, ABC's objective is to provide its members with an organization to deal with issues on an industry-wide basis.
• ABC's activities include government representation, legal advocacy, education, workforce development, communications, technology, recognition through national and chapter awards programs, employee bene...fits, information on best practices and business development through an online contractor search directory.
• ABC’s Value Proposition to its members is based on the merit shop philosophy, helping members win work and deliver work safely, ethically, and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work.
ABC was founded in 1950 when seven contractors gathered in Baltimore, MD to create an association based on the shared belief that construction projects should be awarded on merit to the most qualified and responsible low bidders. Their courage and dedication to the merit shop philosophy spread rapidly, and within time, ABC became the fastest-growing association in the United States. Today, ABC is recognized as one of the leading organizations representing America's business community and the merit shop construction industry.