Development and Foundation, Education and Training, Executive Director/CEO
Music for Healing & Transition Program,™ Inc.
Executive Director Job Description
The position of Executive Director (ED) is a part-time independent contractor position responsible for overall management and leadership in implementing the Music for Healing & Transition Program (MHTP) Board of Directors (Board) policy in a manner consistent with the mission and goals of the organization. The majority of the work is managerial and administrative and may be accomplished from the home office of the incumbent. Some travel is required.
Major Duties of the MHTP Executive Director:
A. Implement MHTP Board policy and decisions
1. Carries out approved directives of the Board
2. Recommends to the Board changes to policies and procedures that would improve the organization
3. Informs Board of any operational problems
4. Works with Board to develop Long-term and Short-term operating goals and strategic plans
B. Monitor and oversee financial management
1. Immediately informs Board of any financial problems
2. Creates (with Board input and approval) and oversees the yearly operating budget and the biannual conference budget
3. Maintains full awareness of the complete financial, statistical, and accounting records of the organization
4. Ensures that operating results established in the annual budget are achieved and ensures the expenses are within budget
5. Ensures the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of all financial accounting and reporting
6. Signs all checks
7. Supervises and advises Financial Administrator on daily MHTP financial affairs
C. Manage and Oversee Development
1. Researches potential funding sources and writes grant applications as needed and appropriate
2. Assures that any grants received are managed as required by the grantor
3. Supervises the Annual MHTP Fundraising Appeal and other donor request campaigns
4. Develops relationships with potential donors to, and supporters of, MHTP
5. Supervises and works closely with the Development Administrator in fundraising (when Development Administrator position is filled).
D. Conduct Outreach to the community
1. Forms collaborative liaisons with other therapeutic and professional organizations, e.g.:
• National Standards Board for Therapeutic Musicians
• Other healthcare providers and professional groups as appropriate
• The MHTP Advisory Board, in conjunction with the Board
2. Provides For Public Relations:
• Represents, or finds a qualified alternative to represent, MHTP interests at conferences and organizational meetings.
• Makes educational presentations, or provides information to MHTP representative to present, at conferences
• Proactively finds ways to use major media to educate the public about MHTP
• Establishes relationships with potential friends and supporters of MHTP
3. Manages MHTP Marketing Program:
• Provides essential content to the MHTP newsletter editor
• Works with MHTP webmaster to assure the website has accurate and timely information and manages updates to the website to keep it current
• Utilizes a variety of ways to market MHTP classes to potential students. e.g. social media
• Markets CMPs to the end users (medical facilities)
E. Manageand growMHTP Education program
1. Works closely with the Area Coordinator Administrator on class dates, enrollment, marketing, and any facility needs
2. Provides information to Faculty Administrator for teacher assignments
3. Works with Board and Curriculum Reviewer to assess and improve the MHTP curriculum on an annual basis during the annual Board meeting
F. Provide Supervision
1. Works with Board in personnel management (recruitment, hiring and evaluation of paid staff)
1. Maintains a competent and effective operational staff
2. Provides leadership to staff through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication
3. Holds periodic teleconference calls with all paid staff to facilitate communication and understanding of Board policies
4. Ensures that job descriptions for all MHTP personnel are current and accurate
5. Conducts performance appraisals as required
6. Formulates and implements corrective action as needed
7. As attrition occurs, recommends to the Board consolidation of job duties in MHTP staff
G. Manage Administrative Operations
1. Oversees the preparation and update of office procedure manuals and other documents
2. Maintains an effective and cost efficient office environment
3. Submits all information, reports and records as requested or required by law
4. Communicates orally and in writing with potential students, medical facility partners, donors, other collaborative partners and other constituents not handled by the Administrative Assistant.
5. Signs contracts, monitors administrative details, e.g. tax reporting requirements, insurance requirements, other office needs
6. Ensures through the Administrative Assistant the monitoring of and presence of MHTP on appropriate social network pages
7. Participates in various MHTP committee meetings as needed.
8. Prepares monthly and annual reports for Board
9. Attends monthly and annual Board meetings
10. Oversees the maintenance of an electronic archive of all MHTP documents
Other duties may be assigned by the Board as necessary for the ED to carry out the mission and vision of MHTP.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for the applicant to do the job are listed below.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION
Interested applicants must submit the following materials electronically to the MHTP President of the Board, Carol J. Spears at firstname.lastname@example.org (see below): By July 7, 2017.
Your current resume. Include details of positions held (paid and unpaid) that relate to the duties of Executive Director as described in the Job Description.
Your written responses explaining how you have gained the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) listed below. Address each of the KSAs thoroughly, individually, and clearly note how you obtained the KSAs through prior positions or life experience. THESE MUST BE PROVIDED.
Your written response to the following:
“Please reflect on and tell us why you would like to become the Executive Director of MHTP.”
Three letters of reference from individuals who can speak to your abilities related to the position of the MHTP ED as described in this Job Announcement and in the Job Description.
Applicants will be rated based on their qualifications for this position as shown by the education, experience, and training related on their resume and responses to the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. Paid and unpaid experience will be considered. Pleasebe specific and detailed in responses to the KSAs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for Incumbent:
To Implement MHTP Board policy and decisions:
Ability to work collaboratively with a Board of Directors
A broad knowledge of not-for-profit organization management
Ability in managerial skills
Skill in development and monitoring of operational goals
To Monitor and oversee financial management:
Demonstrated skill in all aspects of sound financial management, budget development and management
Ability to use financial mgt. software programs e.g. Quickbooks
To Manage and Oversee Development:
Knowledge of fund-raising and donor relationships
Knowledge of grant writing and management
To Conduct Outreach to the community:
Ability to represent MHTP to, and network proactively with, others, e.g. therapeutic music professionals and healthcare professionals
A strong ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally and use of presentation tools, e.g. Powerpoint
Knowledge of media relations, including social media
Skill in marketing
To Manage MHTP’s Education Program:
Knowledge of, or ability to learn about, therapeutic music principles and application
Knowledge of adult education principles
Ability to think creatively to assess and develop educational programs
To Provide Supervision
Ability to manage extensively through virtual communication
Skill and experience with all aspects of supervision of others
Ability to delegate and monitor work to others
To Manage Administrative Operations:
Ability to work with common electronic media, e.g.: Microsoft Office Suite, social networking
Ability to manage a complex and varied work environment
Ability to create and/or manage documents, e.g. policies, Standard Operating Procedures
Music for Healing and Transition Program (MHTP) is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) educational organization which trains and certifies musicians to provide live therapeutic music, for the purpose of creating healing environments for the ill and/or dying, and all who may benefit. Graduates of MHTP are Certified Music Practitioners (CMP)®.
MHTP was established in 1994. It operates exclusively for cha...ritable, literary, and educational purposes, funded from tuition and donations. MHTP is a founding member of The National Standards Board for Therapeutic Musicians, which has created Professional Standards for Therapeutic Musicians.
The charitable and educational objectives of MHTP are to:
1. Serve the ill and dying with live therapeutic music to facilitate and promote healing or assist in the life/death transition;
2. Teach the practice of this service and establish centers for education throughout the United States and internationally;
3. Publish information, research findings and other material about this profession;
4. Provide continuing education opportunities for our graduates;
5. Develop affiliations with healing, charitable and educational organizations where this service may be provided by CMPs.