Date: May 15, 2017
Position Title: Manager, Private Sector Relations
Reports To: Director, Advocacy and Government Relations
ASAM is a medical professional society of over 4,300 members with a total staff of 32 and a $6.1M annual operating budget. It is an energetic, fast-paced organization with multi-faceted opportunities in addiction medicine.
The Manager, Private Sector Relations is a full-time position that will focus on the development of productive relationships with public and private payers, purchasers of health care goods and services, pharmacies, and pharmacy benefit managers to promote better access to high-quality addiction treatment. This position will also support the general public policy and advocacy-related activities associated with the Advocacy and Government Relations Department.
- Staffs ASAM Private Sector Relations Committee and its associated subcommittees and action groups.
- Supports ASAM Legislative Advocacy and Public Policy Committee and associated action groups in matters related to insurance coverage policies, pharmacy access issues, and reimbursement for addiction treatment.
- Primary responsibilities for these roles include:
o Researching and preparing background reports.
o Drafting meeting minutes, updating reports to ASAM Board of Directors, and other materials according to the committee’s needs.
o Organizing conference calls and face-to-face meetings.
o Cultivating productive relationships with public and private payers, pharmacy benefit managers, and relevant trade associations and representing ASAM’s interests to them through participation in public and private meetings, on working groups, and at conferences.
o Responding to ASAM member needs and questions related to payer coverage, pharmacy access, and reimbursement for addiction treatment services.
- Supports ongoing activities of the ASAM Advocacy and Government Relations Department, including development of public policy statements, coordination of federal and state advocacy initiatives, and assisting ASAM members with policy questions and concerns.
- Contributes articles to ASAM Weekly e-newsletter and ASAM Magazine (online magazine).
- Some travel required.
Works closely with:
- ASAM Director of Government Relations, ASAM Executive Vice President/CEO, Chairs of ASAM Private Sector Relations Committee, ASAM Public Policy Committee and ASAM Legislative Advocacy Committee.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Policy or a related field preferred.
- Experience in an association environment desirable.
- Experience working with private health insurer(s) or public payers (CMS or state Medicaid program) desirable.
- Experience with MS Office products (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Skills and Abilities:
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent research, policy analysis, and writing skills
- Ability to work within and meet tight deadlines
- Comfortable working with senior management and association leadership
- Resourceful, proactive and flexible
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org describing your interest in the position and how your skills match the requirements.
Recruiting Salary Range: $58,000 to $63,000 (with a robust benefits package)
ASAM provides equal opportunity to all staff. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, physical handicaps, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or any other category that is protected by federal law or the laws of the Maryland.
ASAM is proud to be honored with the Sloan Award for Excellence in Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility for its use of flexibility and other aspects of workplace effectiveness as a workplace strategy to increase business and employee success. ASAM was one of eight organizations and the only association to be recognized in the state of Maryland.
ASAM Staff Values: As an organization, our work has national and generational impact. We are an energetic, scrappy, and resilient team who are passionately dedicated to providing hope and redemption in the addiction field. Our safe, positive and professional work environment allows us to celebrate both our successes and shortcomings. We help and support each other as a family of compassionate individuals. We work with pride and an insatiable hunger to change the addiction field and to leave our mark.