TITLE: Director, Content Services
LOCATION: Washington, DC
REPORTS TO: Chief Program Officer
TYPE: Full-Time, Exempt
Exponent Philanthropy is a vibrant membership organization that provides the resources and connections that help funders make the most of the minutes they have and the dollars they give. Exponent Philanthropy amplifies and celebrates the vital work of a diverse group of givers, who unite through their unique style of giving, which is lean, agile, responsive, passionate and personal. Membership is open to all individuals and organizations that give annually to more than one recipient, including those who use foundations, donor-advised funds, giving circles and other giving vehicles to carry out their philanthropy.
The organization was created in 1995 by a group of small-staffed foundations. The founders wanted to create an organization that encouraged participation and where all members had an equal voice. We now have members in all 50 states representing thousands of philanthropic leaders. Our growth has resulted in great part by our warm and welcoming culture that is based on the following principles: relationships come first, one size does not fit all, learning is a life long journey, quality is essential, and inspiration from the collective impact of our members. In our staff, we look for highly collegial, ethical, bright, and customer service oriented individuals who have a commitment to quality work. Staff are passionate about the power of philanthropy, are driven by an entrepreneurial spirit and have a strong outcomes orientation. Exponent Philanthropy is an organization that values and rewards performance, collaboration and innovation.
The Director, Content Services reports to the Chief Program Officer and serves as a critical force for quality, innovation, leadership and management at Exponent Philanthropy. As leader of the Content Services Team, s/he is responsible for content strategy and development and managing the team in creating deliverables that guide, connect, champion and elevate the work of small foundations, philanthropic families, individual donors and other key stakeholders.
As a member of the management team, the Director, Content Services is expected to be an active participant in ensuring the association’s overall health and efficient operations. This includes helping to set its strategic direction, working across all staff teams, and strengthening organizational culture.
The Director, Content Services also interfaces with the Exponent Philanthropy Board and other member committees. S/he is expected to lead comfortably and capably and represent Exponent Philanthropy well internally and externally.
- Directly manage the day-to-day work and professional development of all individuals on the Content Services Team to meet deadlines, allow team members’ strengths to shine, and provide constructive feedback for continued learning and improvement.
- Work closely with the Chief Program Officer to contribute to the annual work planning and budgeting process for the Programs & Services Department resulting in a plan that makes best use of resources, meets organizational and departmental goals, generates a strong sense of ownership by team members, and has the input and buy-in of the Programs & Services Committee.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization, including Educational Programs, Membership, Marketing & Communications, and Development, to ensure efficient and effective content creation and delivery.
Product Quality and Innovation
- Produce and edit deliverables to meet or exceed high standards for quality and match the voice of Exponent Philanthropy.
- Become increasingly knowledgeable about philanthropy and Exponent Philanthropy’s target audiences, and recommend content format and delivery methods that meet their needs and interests and align with Exponent Philanthropy’s overall mission and strategies.
- Encourage process and product innovation within the team and across the department.
Member Education and Engagement
- Author thought pieces and practical tools to help members understand and apply best practices.
- Design and present educational programming based on new and existing content for members, prospective members, and partner organizations.
- Participate on the Q&A team, which addresses incoming questions directly from members, and respond to member and other requests for information about programs and resources.
- Participate on the Exponent Philanthropy’s management team helping to inform the strategy and goals for the organization and create a culture that is collegial, collaborative and that champions excellence.
- Report to Exponent Philanthropy senior staff, board committees, and Board of Directors on progress of deliverables in achieving strategic goals of the organization.
Serve as an effective ambassador of Exponent Philanthropy and our members to the broader field and sector.