TITLE: Certification Test Developer, Technical Services
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Technical Services
DEPARTMENT: NICET – Program Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
HOURS: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (1/2 hour lunch)
Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Science, Management, Communications, or other related specialty with course work in technical writing and 2 years of work experience in educational and/or certification test development or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience in proofing and editing.
Experience in dealing with technical concepts and language.
Experience in working with committees and volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills to work effectively in a team setting and independently on concurrent processes and projects to meet established goals, deadlines, and quality standards.
- Excellent ability to write, analyze, and edit technical test questions and other materials for clarity, cognitive level, and appropriateness of technical content.
- Basic understanding of standard testing industry principles and basic statistical concepts to test and item development and maintenance.
- Strong spelling and proofreading skills, with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong ability to utilize relevant information in style guides and technical resource materials.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to write collateral program materials for print and web, and the ability to make effective presentations to stakeholder groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with staff, volunteers, and stakeholders to accomplish NICET goals and objectives.
- Solid computer software skills, including database, internet, email, word processing, item authoring and banking applications.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
Demonstrating competencies previously provided and employing applicable established Standard Operating Procedures to:
- Work within the program development team to develop new certification programs and maintain existing programs.
- Monitor the progress of assigned test development and maintenance projects, ensure that all procedures have been followed, and that NICET standards and specifications have been met.
- Work within the program development team to recruit and coordinate teams of subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Manage teams of SMEs to develop new certification examinations and maintain existing examinations. Facilitate meetings, monitor progress, and prepare meeting agendas and reports as needed.
- Work within the program development team to plan and prepare for workshops.
- Manage item writing workshops and item review sessions with SMEs and NICET staff, ensuring that SMEs are properly trained.
- Conduct editing of test items, and work within the program development team to ensure that the item-editing process is completed in a timely manner, that content fits and fulfills approved test specifications, and that form and structure is consistent with psychometric standards, NICET standards, and American English standards of grammar and spelling.
- Manage item review and approval sessions with SMEs.
- Coordinate the identification, approval, and listing of reference/resource materials.
- Monitor test bank status, perform quality control and update gap analyses.
- Consult SMEs, standards, and candidate feedback to identify reasons for poor test item performance.
- Assemble test forms to meet test specifications.
- Conduct standard setting workshops, prepare and finalize study reports with psychometric consultant.
- Use item and test statistics, along with the concepts of reliability and validity, and work with psychometrician(s) to analyze the performance of items and tests.
- Publish tests and work within the program development team to resolve test QA issues.
- Prepare NICET’s database for test publication and perform/verify necessary data entry.
- Assist with the coordination of test launch schedules and activities with test delivery organization, NICET’s database vendor, and NICET staff.
- Maintain appropriate and accurate records of all test development and maintenance activities.
- Prepare written materials as needed in support of NICET marketing and other related functions.
- Maintain the security of confidential test, candidate, and vendor information.
- Make informational presentations to groups of stakeholders.
- Provide guidance to NICET staff and SMEs on the development and maintenance of practice tests.
- Work with SMEs on the development and maintenance of practice tests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.