Title: Centennial Program Coordinator
Position Type: Full-Time (three-year term assignment)
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
We are home to more than 60,000 scientists from 139 countries. As the Centennial Program Coordinator, you will be part of a dynamic forum for Earth and Space scientists to advance research, collaborate across disciplines, and communicate the importance and impact of science to society. AGU offers our employees exciting opportunities through top-ranked scientific journals, scientific meetings and conferences, and other educational and scientific programs, to present and publish research, gain leadership experience, mentor, and freely exchange knowledge.
What the Centennial Program Coordinator does
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
The Centennial Program Coordinator will be responsible for management, coordination, and communication related to AGU’s centennial programs. The incumbent will serve as a liaison with members, society partners, and internal departments and will help develop activities, and respond to ideas and opportunities related to the occasion. The work will involve outreach inside and outside of the scientific membership community, grassroots programming coordination, website development or maintenance, and enthusiasm for science and what it brings to human kind.
The Coordinator will support the Special Advisor, Centennial and Outreach and work closely with a matrixed team that will include Sr. Management.
- Coordinating programs and relationships within and outside of AGU related to the 100th anniversary (centennial) of AGU to ensure collaboration and consistent messaging.
- Communicate, interact and support major centennial programs with partnering AGU departments. These programs include: partner and member engagement programs, special publications and outreach, worldwide meetings, interactive web portal, permanent museum exhibit in AGU headquarters, development of impact studies, data competitions, and creation of an endowment.
- Working with centennial partners, from members to partnership organizations, to organize programs and events.
- Managing adhoc committees and subject-matter experts who will be contributing to centennial efforts including relationship building, agenda and deadline creation for meetings and meeting outcomes.
- Maintaining communications and program building with AGU’s international scientific constituencies that span almost 25 scientific and impact groups.
- Working within assigned budgets and deadlines and working in coordination with supervisor to create and manage budgets.
- Managing and updating multiple technology platforms and websites that will showcase projects and their progress for the centennial year.
- Working with AGU executives, volunteer leadership, and strategic communications group to coordinate social media messages.
- Supporting special project work as needed that may include research and writing.
- Other duties as assigned.
What the Centennial Program Coordinator brings to the team
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
- Experience in website development or maintenance.
- Experience working with multiple groups at a single time and giving each the dedication of time and energy needed to create successful program.
- Expertise in communications and social media; experience working with subject-matter experts a plus.
- Science background preferred, especially a geoscience background.
- Experience in public policy, governance or partnership relationships preferred.
- Ability to project a professional demeanor while interacting with people having diverse backgrounds and professional levels.
- Demonstrated initiative and sound judgment, and good communication skills.
- Ability to work within the scientific community and communicate science to a non-scientific community
- Ability to effectively prioritize and work well under pressure to meet sensitive project deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and CMS packages.
- Ability to multitask, strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- 3-5 years of experience with a Bachelor's degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Who the Centennial Program Coordinator works with
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with others to achieve shared goals and outcomes that contribute to the mission, vision, and strategic plan of AGU.
- Assist Special Advisor, Centennial and Outreach and works closely with the Executive Office on implementation of the centennial project.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter with your salary requirements and resume to https://rew12.ultipro.com/AME1056/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=271
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.