The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) has an opening for the newly created position of human resources generalist. The position would be ideal for an HR professional who is newly-certified (PHR or SHRM-CP) or has proven HR knowledge through a combination of education and 2 to 4 years’ experience in human resources. It is a true entry- to mid-level HR generalist position with exposure to many areas of HR, supporting two offices in Arlington, VA. The HR generalist assists the associate director of human resources and administration with the management of NACAC’s benefits, performance management, staffing, employee relations, and payroll programs. The HR team works together to ensure that all human resources processes and policies are carried out in a manner that is fair and compliant with all applicable laws and supportive of the needs of NACAC and its employees.
NACAC is an education association of more than 16,000 postsecondary and secondary schools, organizations, counselors, and college admission and financial aid officers that work with students as they make the transition from high school to postsecondary education. NACAC offers competitive compensation, an excellent benefits & retirement package, and a convenient location between the Courthouse and Clarendon metro stations in Arlington, Virginia.
Employment/ Employee Relations
- Regularly reviews communications from the Department of Labor, Virginia Department of Labor and other sources of human resources and employment information to keep up to date on actions related to employment, assure legal compliance and minimize risks.
- Assists the associate director of human resources and administration with monitoring regulatory changes, trends, and NACAC staff feedback to inform recommending program improvements, updates and additions for NACAC’s human resources programs, primarily with respect to benefits and payroll administration but may include other areas as requested.
- Prepares hire letters and new hire folders.
- Assists with new hire orientation.
- Generates employee evaluation and review forms.
- Scans and files payroll, benefits and employment documents.
- Maintains personnel files and information in a confidential manner, verifies and updates information as necessary.
- Serves as back-up to respond to requests for employment verification, references, and unemployment claims, in the absence of the associate director.
- Provides back-up support for the recruitment process in the absence of the human resources coordinator or as requested, including assisting with recruitment strategy and writing and placing ads.
- Assists with managing the following benefits as assigned or requested: 403(b) and 457(b) retirement plans, group medical, short-term disability, long-term disability, life and AD&D, employee assistance plan, supplemental insurances, medical and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts, and workplace banking.
- Processes enrollments; provides benefit education to new, ongoing, and potential employees; and researches and resolves any complications.
- Orders benefits supplies and downloads updated materials as needed.
- Serves as back-up point of contact for benefit brokers, vendors and third party administrators for questions about benefit administration.
- Assists with preparation of annual Form 5500 and Form 8955-SSA filings, non-discrimination testing, and updating plan documents and communications.
- Manages employee leave time for proper record keeping and payment.
- Assists with completion of annual workers compensation audit.
Payroll and Compensation
- Records and processes information and benefit changes, liens and garnishments to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions.
- Processes biweekly payroll.
- Updates salary and benefits, staff information, anniversary, and birthday reports.
- Assists with gathering operational, financial, and census data for compensation and benefits reporting and surveys, as requested.
- Supports the annual audit process. Assists with reconciliations of payroll and benefit general ledger accounts.
- Reviews invoices and prepares check requests and journal entries.
- Provides lunch time coverage and back-up for the front desk receptionist per scheduled rotation or as required.
- Additional tasks or projects as assigned.