National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU)
NAICU serves as the unified national voice of private nonprofit higher education. Since 1976, the association has represented this subset of American colleges and universities on policy issues with the federal government, such as those affecting student aid, taxation, and government regulation. With more than 1,000 member institutions and associations, NAICU reflects the diversity of private, nonprofit higher education in the United States. Our member institutions include major research universities, church-related colleges, historically black colleges, art and design colleges, traditional liberal arts and science institutions, women’s colleges, two-year colleges, and schools of law, medicine, engineering, business, and other professions.
The purpose of this job is to serve as the initial contact for NAICU and to provide administrative assistance to NAICU staff and members. This position is responsible for staffing the reception area by routing all incoming telephone calls, responding to requests for basic information, greeting visitors, and accepting deliveries. The position reports to the Director of Finance & Administration.
The right candidate will have administrative experience including answering phones, greeting guests, office supply ordering and inventory, managing and programming telephone system, and providing administrative support for meetings, membership tasks and office/computer systems. The assigned work hours are 9:00 am to 5:30 pm.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reception & Facilities:
- Warmly greet clients/visitors
- Answer phones and manage incoming telephone calls
- Manage and program telephone system
- Process incoming mail and deliver mail and faxes to staff
- Purchase and manage office and kitchen supplies
- Assist with facilities management items including: alarm system, kitchen maintenance, phone system and office cable service
- Keep office common areas neat and organized
- Serve as the Recycling Coordinator including reviewing literature to ensure compliance with DC recycling mandates
- Prepare packages and arrange for courier pick-up and delivery of packages/letters; sign for incoming deliveries
- Review shipping and supplies vendor invoices for accuracy and code to appropriate department
- Create and update staff rosters, phone lists, and travel and leave calendars
- Filing, copying, and scanning as needed for the office
- Assist with membership tasks, mailings and activities
- Assist with NAICU meetings and events
- Maintain weekly check log and minor financial tasks
- Assist with data entry and office and computer systems, as needed