SmithBucklin, a leading association management company based in Chicago, is seeking a Sr. Operations and Membership Specialist to join our Business + Trade Industry Practice. This role is responsible for managing a number of associations’ programs, including, but not limited to, annual conferences, membership, marketing and communications, education and certification. This role will also provide support to multiple Association Executives on financial oversight, board relations and membership growth and retention.
Business trade associations represent the majority of SmithBucklin's client organizations. We provide full-service management to a mix of roughly 50 national and international trade associations and professional societies operating within various business sectors. Our Business + Trade staff teams help associations create value for the members by delivering strategy and thought leadership, member value creation, networking opportunities, commerce solutions, education and certification, advocacy and promotion and setting industry standards. SmithBucklin's Business + Trade Industry Practice collectively manages $70 million dollars in client organization budgets and serves more than 180,000 members.
Please note: This role will require approximately 15% travel, both domestic and international.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directly supervise three (3) staff members; indirectly coordinate Service Unit staff of client
- Oversee membership functions such as recruitment and retention, and staffing of Membership Committees
- Network at industry-related tradeshows and conferences in order to generate new member interest
- Assist staff in generating relevant, accurate and timely reports that assist with understanding trends in association programs and communicating those trends to association volunteer leaders and staff
- Manage volunteer committees in determination and execution of programs; assure strategic goals are being met and future leaders are being mentored for committees
- Participate in development and execution of associations' strategic plans
- Assist the Association Executive in all areas of association management
- Manage client financial budgets; ensure adherence to budget guidelines and objectives
- Managing teams, both administrative and across the unit
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience in prioritizing, delegating and managing projects from inception to completion
- Database experience and website editing skills
- Professional, concise, written and verbal communications skills to include email etiquette
- Mastery of time management and organizational skills
- A proactive approach to process improvement
- Demonstrated ability to apply sound business judgment related to conflict resolution and knowing when to escalate issues to supervisor
- Ability to build strong relationships with volunteer leaders
- Must be able to travel approximately 15% of the year, both domestically and internationally