The Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) is a global not-for-profit trade association and the voice of the information technology industry. With approximately 2,000 member tech companies, 3,000 academic and training partners, 95,000 registered users, and more than two million IT certifications issued, CompTIA is dedicated to advancing the IT industry by helping tech businesses grow and building a skilled tech workforce.
CompTIA accomplishes its mission by providing networking via member-led communities, councils, and events; education, including vendor-neutral and technical content; thought leadership on technology trends, cybersecurity, and workforce issues; certification; advocacy at state, federal, and international levels; and philanthropy.
CompTIA was recently named a Top Workplace for Women over 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business. CompTIA has been named one of the Best Places to Work in Illinois for five consecutive years by the Business Ledger, a leading provider of business news and information about businesses and the economy in suburban Chicago. In November 2015, CompTIA received a 2015 Top Workplaces honor from the Chicago Tribune. To learn more, visit www.comptia.org.
In this new position, the Vice President will be responsible for leading CompTIA’s content product strategy and innovation. The VP’s primary emphasis will be on the design, development, and execution of innovative content and learning products in order to maximize commercial impact while maintaining the health and profitability of existing products. The VP provides strategic direction for CompTIA’s learning and product management staff with the goal of directly increasing revenue and the growth of the IT professional market segment.
The Vice President, Content & Learning Products, should be a veteran in the training and content space. He/she will have an entrepreneurial spirit and be an experienced content builder who has a successful track record with startups in content and training. He/she will come from the technology sector with cutting-edge knowledge of unique and innovative ways to delivery technology.
While the new VP will be running a business within CompTIA, he/she must recognize that resources will be drawn from other departments who are charged with serving association members. Striking a cooperative balance will be important. Dogmatic behavior or overly aggressive tactics are not effective in this workplace. CompTIA is results-driven but also actively committed to ensuring work/life balance; everyone is empowered to drive their own schedule and there is no expectation that employees work overtime or answer emails outside the normal workday.
The new VP must be skilled at guiding pricing and positioning. He/she must be able to gauge the competitive landscape and be ready with go-to-market strategies. The expectation is that the VP will make smart decisions but not be overly cautious; he/she must recognize the importance of being first in the market and polishing up the details later.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Lead association product development strategy in alignment with business goals, desired customer experience, customer feedback, and overall market opportunity to ensure CompTIA’s leadership in the IT industry.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and take advantage of new opportunities that align with business goals.
- Work with staff to build detailed business plans to determine viability of new product initiatives.
- Negotiate with both internal and external partners to ensure products are successful.
- Oversee key projects, processes, and performance reports, data and analyses.
- Work with the existing content and training channel partners to maximize the quality, availability, and adoption of CompTIA-related content.
Manage staff responsible for a diverse portfolio of products including exams, continuing education, test preparation, and skills development, and lead the creation of new products to expand CompTIA’s portfolio.
- Streamline and integrate processes and communication between Product Management and CompTIA Learning in support of the association’s product development direction, timelines, budgets, and revenue objectives.
- Develop and recommend budgets to management.
- Ensure that staff is equipped with the skills, knowledge, and abilities meet the needs of the organization.
- Provide leadership in the coordination of marketing activities for content products
The VP will report to the Senior Vice President, Events & Education, and supervise a staff of eight.