The President will collaborate with the Board of Directors to develop and refine the strategy of YA and YAR and will ensure the organization has clearly aligned strategic and operational plans, specific and measurable goals, and the financial and team resources required to deliver its mission.
The President will serve as the primary spokesperson for YA and YAR and will articulate the organizations’ vision, values, policies, practices and priorities to staff, members, registrants, partners, donors and the world.
Working with the Executive Director and/or COO reporting to the President, the President will hold the staff accountable for upholding and supporting the values, policies, practices and priorities of the organization to fulfill the mission and strategy with effectiveness and excellence.
Based at organizational headquarters in Arlington, VA, the President will seek to enhance and grow YA and YAR’s reputation as field leaders in the yoga community.
Duties and Responsibilities: Strategic Leadership
• Enhance Board of Directors’ capacity for and involvement in strategic planning.
• Engage and energize the governance role of the Board of Directors by communicating strategic choices, opportunities and challenges.
• Establish and lead the strategic planning process.
• Provide leadership managing the implementation of the strategic plan and annual objectives by Executive Director and/or COO and other senior management.
• Refine and refresh approved strategy as appropriate.
• Advise Board of Directors on management issues, policies and priorities.
• Inspire and lead the board, staff, volunteers, membership, donors and partnering organizations in the successful achievement of the mission.
• Serve as ex-officio member of each committee.
Duties and Responsibilities: External Relations
• Foster organizational credibility and field leadership by speaking, presenting, creating original content and otherwise engaging with the yoga community, partners and potential partners.
• Develop a local and national presence that publishes and communicates on behalf of the organization.
• Expand fundraising activities to support advocacy and foundation.
• Use external presence and relationships to evaluate new opportunities.
• Collaborate on the strategic business planning process for expansion into new markets.
• Educate and inspire registrants and members and prospective registrants and members to help the organization thrive and achieve its purposes and objectives.
• Help to evaluate and develop potential alliances, partnerships and relationships with organizations and individuals with similar interests and desired outcomes.
• Lead in development and execution of all external communications and publications including policy statements, position statements and press releases.
• Respond to legislative, regulatory and judicial opportunities and challenges.
• Engage high profile yoga community members to develop supportive network and enhance relationships.
Duties and Responsibilities: Team and Organizational Management
• Lead, coach, develop and support the growth and retention of a high-performance senior management team.
• Work collaboratively with the Executive Director and/or COO on strategic, management and staff issues.
• Manage Chief Ambassador and Advisory Council members to enhance effectiveness.
• Become well versed in all levels of YA and YAR activity to effectively communicate and lead board, executive and senior staff, committees and employees on strategy, policies, priorities and planning.
• Approve management plans for funding and other strategies that promote and further the organization’s mission, vision and values.